Sunday, August 27, 2017

Prayers for Texas

Many of you may not know but I'm a proud Texan. I may not have been born in Texas, but I will be here until it's my time to leave this life.  I love this state and its people with their independent spirit and strong faith in God.  Texans are a unique breed.  It's true that everything is bigger in Texas.  However, what I believe that means is it's because Texans always do things in a big way.

Now to the reason for this post.  The news media has shown the world the devastation Texans are facing with the arrival of Harvey.  Thousands upon thousands of Texans have lost everything with no promise of this storm letting up for several more days.  The rain just keeps coming, hour after hour.  Some areas are still suffering the strong winds along with the endless rain.

For those of you who have never faced a hurricane, I can tell you the destructive power is something you can never imagine in your worst nightmares.  The wind sounds like a freight train barreling down on you with the rain coming at you like bullets.  Then you have to worry about the tornadoes that appear suddenly out of the clouds, adding to the destruction.  I have experienced fires, floods, tornadoes, and even earthquakes, but NOTHING matches the terror a hurricane brings.  The power of a hurricane shows us just how small we truly are in the scheme of things.

As of this morning, we are feeling the effects of the outer bands of Harvey as it makes its slow move eastward.  The reports of how it will more than likely continue until Thursday are unbelievable.  I cannot imagine the about of destruction it can do in that time.  I worry for those in its direct path.  I worry for our daughter who is a police officer in one of the communities having a problem with flooding at this time.  Being a first responder, she cannot evacuate.  She has to stay to help keep her community safe.  While I'm proud of her, as a mother, I'm also worried for her safety.

As I write this post, the rain continues to fall.  We are blessed because our home is dry, and we still have electricity, phone service, and Internet service.  I'm praying that we live to the north enough that we don't get a direct hit should Harvey decide to swerve back out into the gulf and gather more strength.

I know Texans will survive this brutal attack from Harvey.  I know Texans will pull together and rebuild.  Heck, Texans are a tough and resilient breed.  So, as I close this post I ask for your prayers and well wishes for Texas.  Harvey may have kicked us in the teeth, but he hasn't knocked us down.



6 comments:

  1. SO WELL SAID & TRUE. CAN'T KEEP GOOD PEOPLE DOWN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm so proud of Texans and how they've handled this. I'm also thankful for those who came to Texas from all over to help us during this difficult time.

      Delete
  2. I don't stop my prayer for our Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your prayers during this difficult time.

      Delete
  3. So, did he cause the hurricane, or did he fail to stop the hurricane?
    A dose of the old testament...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not quite sure what you meant by this comment. I hope you don't mean that Texas deserved it. Hurricanes happen all the time. I'm just proud and thankful for how Americans have come together during this difficult time. With all the anger today, it was wonderful to see people helping each other without the normal hate so many are trying to say is in our hearts. Race, sexual orientation, sex, religion, NONE of that mattered. We pulled together as Americans and Texans to help our brothers and sisters survive. During this difficult time, we showed the world what is in the average American's heart, regardless of all the media spin.

      Delete