Friday, May 16, 2014

I just don't understand some people...

As I was scrolling through my facebook timeline the yesterday, I came across a rather disturbing post.  In it, a very talented author that I'm honored to know, mentioned how someone had called her a traitor since she has signed on with someone.  I left a comment, telling her not to listen to their foolishness, as they were only jealous of her success, and then I went on my way and shared the normal funny pictures and such, not thinking of it again.

I went to bed that night, when suddenly her words flowed into my mind, and I found myself growing angry.  How is anyone a traitor for taking a different path with THEIR writing career?  Why would anyone feel the need to split writers into groups anyway? Are we not ALL writers?  Do we not all live to tell the stories swirling around in our minds? Therefore, why is it necessary to split us up into groups, other than to make oneself feel better for not achieving a conceived level of success that THEY desire.

When I began writing my first book, I had dreams of wealth and fame.  However, after I published for the first, I soon learned that if I only wanted those things, then I was cheating myself out of the joy of writing.  I'm not saying that I wouldn't love to have the next best selling novel and make a boat-load of money, but I would NEVER begrudge the writer who did.  I know several writers who began publishing the same time as me, and some have seen great success with their careers, but not once was I jealous of them. I am thrilled for their successes, and I know that someday, with the right book, I may enjoy the same.

I don't care if you are an Indie, traditionally published, or a mixture of both. We are all writers, and to me that makes us a family.


No comments:

Post a Comment