Thursday, October 5, 2017

Prayers for Las Vegas


As I sit and watch all the media pundits go on and on with their theories of why a crazed man would open fire on those simply enjoying an evening of good country music.  I’ve struggled with how I would feel if I or someone I love were there at that horrible time.  When I first heard the report of the shooting, I was getting ready for bed after a long evening working on an editing project for a client.  I had the TV on in the background but wasn’t really paying attention.  That was until I heard the reporter breathlessly say shots were being fired at a crowd of people in Las Vegas.
I have to admit my first thought was what organization would do such a thing; ISIS, Antifa? Those were the first hate groups that popped into my mind.  I guess it really doesn’t matter.  A crazed shooter murdered Americans enjoying a happy evening.  This video clearly shows the mood of those at the concert.
Everyone was singing together.  They had no idea there was a man with hate in his heart who would target them only an hour later…
I cannot begin to tell you the rage I felt the first time I watched this second video.  Those people were not doing anything other than enjoying some good music.  For someone to plan the murder of others the way this sicko did is something I will never understand.  He had a stockpile of guns and ammo, as well as explosives.  He booked that room WAY in advance.  This was not a thing he did on impulse.  No, he had planned it way ahead of the attack.  In fact, there are reports that he was probably planning other attacks in Boston and Chicago.  Authorities are also saying he was probably planning a car bombing. From the very beginning, I’ve felt there was much more to this evil man than we were hearing on the news.  It looks as though my feelings may have been true.  He was a man on a mission to cause chaos and death.  I’m just thankful he was stopped before he could do more harm.
I’m not going to get into my feelings on gun control.  As far as I’m concerned NOTHING could have prevented this crazed man from fulfilling his evil mission.  The Islamist Terrorists have proven time and again, mass murder can be done using anything from airplanes, vehicles, bombs in pressure cookers, among other everyday items.  If someone wants to kill large numbers of people they will find a way to do it.
So, where do we go from here?  Do we live our lives in fear?  No, I choose to live my life on MY terms.  What we need to do as a country is not point fingers at each other.  We need to remember that we are all Americans.  This division forced upon us by those with a political agenda needs to stop.  Watching the video of those Americans singing God Bless America reminds me of what a wonderful country we have the privilege to call home.
We all heard the heroic stories of those rushing in to help the injured without thought of their own safety.  We heard stories of the brave Law Enforcement Officers using their own bodies as shields against gunfire.  We heard of how the everyday American helped to get those injured to hospitals in their own vehicles or even a borrowed a pickup truck.  I know they said he stole the pickup, but I choose to call it borrowing.  Then we heard of how the doctors and nurses performed miracles to save the lives of hundreds of injured people, flooding through the Emergency Room doors.
Those acts of bravery are what I choose to remember.  However, I believe the name of shooter deserves to be forgotten.  Of course, we should never forget his evil deed and all the pain he brought to those who survived that horrible night.  But his name is something I choose to erase from my mind.   I choose to remember the way everyone in Las Vegas responded to the evil they faced.  It reminded me of how everyone pulled together here in Southeast Texas when Hurricane Harvey made his visit.
My heart filled with pride when I watched my fellow Texans pull together and help each other through all the devastating flooding.  Even our daughter, who is a police officer in a community here in Southeast Texas spent day after day hanging on the side of a large rescue truck, helping people and pets get to safety.  Watching how my fellow Americans act at times like this restores my belief in the people of this great country.
In closing, I ask all of you to say a prayer of comfort and healing for those in Las Vegas.  Pray for those still in the hospital, and pray for those families who lost a loved one.  I know we all feel gut-kicked by this horrible event, but I believe as one people we can overcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment