Wednesday, November 1, 2017

What Happened to Christmas?


Where has 2017 gone?  It seems like it was just yesterday when I was taking down our Christmas tree and packing up all the decorations.  When I went to the store the other day the shelves were filled with decorations for Christmas, alongside those for Halloween.  Whatever happened to letting each holiday have its own time???
I long for the days when Christmas did not officially begin until the day after Thanksgiving.  We all enjoyed the playfulness of Halloween.  Then we moved on to Thanksgiving and beloved family gatherings.  Then and ONLY then it was time for the Christmas season.  Yes, the Christmas season.  Not this watered-down, several months long thing the retailers have created and forced on us.  I understand businesses want to make money.  I have no problem with that. However, I believe putting Christmas items out WEEKS before Halloween is a bit much.
How are we supposed to enjoy each unique time?  None are allowed to stand out, to be thoroughly experienced before moving on to the next.  Call me old-fashioned, but I enjoyed the feeling of magic and wonder during December.  I loved shopping for gifts and seeing the decorations lighting up homes and stores.  I miss feeling the excitement in the air as each day brought us closer to Christmas eve and day.
I don’t know if I’m the only one who feels this way, but I’m sure I’m not.  I, for one, refuse to allow those grinches in merchandising to steal my Christmas spirit.  So many have forgotten or never experience the true wonder of the Christmas season. I only pray we can find the magic again.
Now that Halloween is behind us, we move on to Thanksgiving…

No comments:

Post a Comment