Friday, January 15, 2016

The voices in my head

If any of you have heard me speak about how I write my books, I always refer to the voices in my head. No, I'm not schizophrenic, and in need of a long-sleeved jacket and padded room. What I mean is how my mind works while creating my stories. I've heard other authors speak of how they have a strict way of writing their books, such as storyboards, index cards with plot notes, etc.  Now, I’m not going to say I didn’t try doing things that way, but to be honest, the dang voices in my head would always screw up my best-laid plans.

When I begin to write a new book, I will have an idea of what is going to happen, and how I would like it to end.  BUT I can’t begin to tell you the number of times my little voices have made it quite clear the ending or direction of the story was not to their liking.

One book, in particular, comes to mind.  When my husband, Bob, first thought of the idea for my dark thriller, Pure Justice, he had a particular ending to the story in mind.  However, when I arrived at the part of the story where I needed to set up for the ending I just couldn’t do it.  I was home alone that evening, as Bob was still driving truck over-the-road.  I had finished my dinner and sat down at my trusty laptop and began to type.  I knew what I needed to do, but I couldn’t bring myself to type the words.  There I sat at my laptop losing a raging inner battle with the voices in my head.  You may think I’m crazy, but they were screaming at me to take this incredible character and his story in an entirely different direction than was planned from the start.

This battle raged on for several tense-filled minutes, as my fingers hovered over the keyboard.  I would type a few words then find myself using the backspace key to erase them from my screen.  I finally had reached the breaking point when I stood and began to pace the floor, begging the voices to relent and allow me to end the book the way I had planned from day one.  I paced and paced, shaking my head with the hope, the voices would shut up and let me set up the ending of the story the way I wanted.  But they wouldn’t.  It didn’t matter how much I tried to shake the thoughts swirling around in my mind.  The new ending to this story was clear in my mind’s eye, and I was helpless to fight.


Therefore, realizing I was never going to win this battle, I relented and sat in my comfy chair and began to type.  The words seemed to fly onto the screen of my laptop as my fingers typed at a frenzied pace.  I don’t even think I was fully conscious of what I was typing, but it didn’t matter.  The ending of this book was writing itself and I was simply a tool in the process.  I’m sure there are other authors out there who have known this feeling and are just as amazed as I am when it happens.  To surrender to the voices in your mind can be difficult at times, but I’ve learned it’s the best thing to do for they know best.  When I typed the last sentence of Pure Justice: No Escape, Paid in Blood, I knew I had made the correct decision on how this story should end.  The readers and their kind reviews have agreed as well.

Pure Justice is on ALL major ebook outlets for only $2.99

No comments:

Post a Comment