Monday, October 6, 2014

Introducing Indie Author Lisa Vandiver and her latest release Mystic Mist

Hello, I am so excited about this interview.  Today we will be spending some time with Indie Author Lisa Vandiver, and two characters from her thrilling book, Mystic Mist.


Lisa, I want to thank you for dropping by today and bringing Erich and Iseabail along with you.  I’m sure that everyone will enjoy getting to know more about each of you, as well as their adventure in Mystic Mist.

Lisa: Hi, Linda, thank you for inviting me.  I am thrilled to be here.  This is going to be fun.

Iseabail: Hello, I am very excited to be with you today, I was thrilled when Lisa informed me of your kind invitation.

Erich: Hi, Linda, Thank you very much for the invitation.  I’m very glad to be with you today.



I cannot begin to tell you how much I enjoyed reading your latest release, Mystic Mist.  It really is quite different from other fantasy books out there today.  Can you please share with everyone what inspired you?

Thank you, I’m glad you enjoyed it.  Aside from romance, I also enjoy writing fantasy, sci-fi, horror, and paranormal stories. I love the medieval era.  As I began taking notes for Mystic Mist, and building the plotline, I found inspiration from such stories as Harry Potter, Lord of the Ring, and Twilight, though I jokingly say, my vampires don’t glitter.  They are dark, cold, brutal, and much stronger and more powerful than earth’s vampires are.  I have heard the saying, Write what you know, but in this case, I wrote what I love.

Erich, in the book we learn that you are quite the swordsman.  Will you share with us how long you have practiced the art of sport fencing, and why it is so important to you?

I have been involved with the sport of fencing from the time I could hold a small sword in my hand. (laughing)  My father practiced with me daily, and taught me relaxing methods, known as Caryaga, which helped me prepare for my workout and exercises.  I involved myself deeply in this sport because I enjoyed it.  When we were at home, my father and I would pull out our real swords and spar.  There was nothing better to me, than sparing with Dad.  I was hooked.  I loved the feel of the sword in my hand.  When I sparred, I was extremely serious, but I had fun with it.  When I was a little boy growing up in Scotland, every evening after dinner, my parents and I would gather around the fireplace and Dad would read stories from Legends.  As a boy, I really felt as though I was inside the story as the knights wielded their swords against an enemy.  I knew from an early age, that this sport would always be a part of my life.

I’m sure in all those years of practice, you never thought you would need to use it for protection against a foe trying to kill you?

I absolutely had no idea about the enemy that is now on earth. In fact, I had no idea about a lot of things my parents kept secret from me.  I’m not angry with them for keeping the secrets.  I understand why… they kept them to protect me.  As a boy, I participated in a sport I enjoyed, I now look back and see that my father was preparing me…just in case the hellavey somehow made it to earth.  I absolutely appreciate his forethought, in that one day I might have to actually defend myself using my skills. I owe my life to the teachings my father bestowed on me from childhood to adulthood.

Iseabail, in the story we learn how the Mystic Mist swept you up and transported you to earth.  Will you please share with us your first opinion of our world?

When I first awoke, I was in a cave, so immediately, I thought earth might have been primitive with its people living in caves.  However, my opinion quickly changed once we journeyed outside, and I saw the beautiful waterfall and the lush, green forest with the fall colored leaves.  The beauty took my breath, away; even though the entire time I was on earth, it rained.  I would imagine that when the sun shines, it must truly be a beautiful place.  My only regret is that I did not see the ‘trains’ and ‘planes’, that Erich spoke of.  When I met the fairies, I realized our two worlds were similar in that we both share them with magical creatures, though some earthlings may not be aware of their presence.

I do have to admit the Hellavay are some frightening creatures.  Erich, will you please share with us your first thought when you saw one?

Oh, I was terrified, when they exited the mist.  It was like a scene from a horror flick.  My heart raced, my pulse skipped a couple of beats, and I think at one point, that I actually stopped breathing, as the creature crept closer to our hiding place.

I know that I wouldn’t want to come face-to-face with one.  (laughs nervously)

Iseabail, in the book, Lisa tells us of your world.  The description she gives, paints a vivid picture of beautiful gardens and the grandeur of the castle grounds.  Will you please share with us what it was like growing up in such a place?

I had such a wonderful childhood growing up in Carasylia, and particularly in the kingdom of Eloweena. When I traveled to the royal city of Elegantae, below Castle Hill, I always had a company of guards with me.  I thoroughly enjoyed traveling to the royal city for various occasions, and the town folk were always lovely folk.  I always enjoyed listening to the horse’s hoofs as they clopped along the cobblestone streets.
My fondest memory of my childhood was staring out my bedroom window watching the twin suns rise and set over Serenity Mountain.  A huge waterfall flows from atop the mountain, cascading into the river below.
My parents were good parents to us.  They were strict disciplinarians, but they always had time for each child.  We had fun together.  My father taught me how to whittle, much to Mother’s horror(laughing), but she eventually accepted it.  I enjoyed riding horses with my father and brother, Aiden. We rode as often as Father could afford the time.  Aiden always made me laugh with his teasing ways and quirky sense of humor.
With my mother, I enjoyed leisurely picnics in the garden, and strolls along the riverbank.
Clair was my dearest friend, and we did most things together, except when we were in tra’nata, ah, school in your language.  We spent many nights sitting under the stars and twin moons, laughing and talking about our futures.  I could go on and on about all the things I enjoy there, so I supposed I should stop now.  One thing for sure, though we experienced many bad things such as attacks from hellavey and Firedreda, I would not want a different life, because my family are wonderful people.  As I look back on the hard times, I see now that those moments are what bonded us together as a family, and as a kingdom.

It sounds like a lovely place to live, full of happy memories.  Thank you for sharing that with us, Iseabail.

Okay, I have to ask.  Erich, Iseabail, when the two of you first met, what did you think of each other?

Erich: My immediate thought was that she was an angel falling from the sky.  Then when the hellavey appeared, I half expected her to change into one.  However when she awoke the next morning, I realized she was a normal human, ah, person, who just happened to be from another world; it then became my responsibility to protect her.

Iseabail(blushing)”  That is so sweet, Erich, you thought I was an angel?  When I first met Erich, I thought he was quite handsome, but I had no idea what he had planned to do with me.  When he attempted to communicate with me, I then realized that he meant me no harm, so I decided I really had no choice, but to trust him at that point.

Erich(laughing: )Our first morning was quite an experience, wasn’t it?  I was impressed with how quickly you caught on to my language.

Iseabail(giggling):  And I thought your attempt with mine was quite humorous.

Erich(rolling eyes, but laughing)”  Okay, okay, I admit it, I was not a natural linguist at first, but I’m proud to say I’m getting quite fluent with it now.  I’ve realized it’s very close to my native language, so it’s clicking with me now.

I’m sure after everything the two of you went through in the book, you have developed a lasting friendship.  Is there anything you want to suggest to Lisa for any future installments?

Erich:  Yes, please let me have a chance to battle Firedreda!

Iseabail:  I want to visit the beautiful garden once more.

Lisa, I understand that Mystic Mist is the first book of your New Breed Series.  Will you please share with us how many installments you’re planning, and what you mean by New Breed?

I don’t know how many installments there will actually be.(laughing nervously)  I’m planning at least seven, but honestly, this story is not in my hands except for the penning of it.  It is amazing the arguments I’ve had with these two characters as well as with others, all wanting their turn on the pages.  I have numerous characters to explore within this series.

New Breed.  The hellavey are vampires in nature, but much more fierce, brutal, and strong.  The hellavey have other strengths and powers that earth vampires do not have.  Imagine the powers of the earth vampires, and then times it by a thousand.  These creatures will be unlike any creature earth has encountered…ever.  Therefore, I likened them to a new breed of creatures arriving to earth.

At the same time, though Erich is a mere human, his arrival to Carasylia makes him a new breed to their culture.  He has similar skills matching any knight there, but also brings with him knowledge, power, unlike any Carasylian has witnessed.  In both cases, these ‘new breeds’ coming to foreign worlds, will be instrumental in changing those worlds dramatically, forever.


I know that you’ve been working on the second installment in the series titled, Hellavey.  Will you share with us a little of what you have planned for this book, and when you estimate its release.

Sure, we will pick up with Erich and Iseabail in book two where we left them in book one.  We will also discover what happens when the hellavey finally make it into the local townships of New England.  With this story, I will be introducing new characters, ones that will be a big part of the future installments as earthlings began fighting for their survival in their struggle against the hellavey.

It sounds very exciting.  I can’t wait to read it.


Is there anything else any of you would like to add?

Lisa: I hope you and your readers will join Erich in the future installments as he explores a new planet. I promise you, you will not be bored as there will be plenty more action as he battles hellavey, dragons, and will have to distinguish friend from foe in the kingdom of Aspella. Iseabail, meanwhile, will be having her own adventure in the kingdom of Eloweena as she reunites with Clair. However, her happiness may be short lived when some disturbing news is delivered to her…  Also, we will visit Steaphan, Lorne, and Keilwen once again as the New Breed series continues. I am having a blast as I write this Fantasy Adventure story! (Smiling)

Oh my, look at the time.  I want to thank the three of you for dropping by today, and letting us get to know you better.  I’m sure that everyone is anxious to read Mystic Mist, and follow Erich and Iseabail as they take on the dreaded Hellavey.

Lisa: I knew this was going to be fun, thank you for the chance to share Mystic Mist and the New Breed series with you and your readers.

Iseabail: Yes, it was fun. Thank you, Linda for your time. I hope to have you and your readers visiting me in Eloweena soon.

Erich: This was a great time, thank you, Linda. You are a great interviewer. I can’t wait to fight some more Hellavey, dragons, and do some exploring!

Mystic Mist is available in ebook on Amazon, Apple, Barnes & Noble, and Smashwords.  It’s also available in paperback on Amazon.

Lisa also invites all of you to follow her on:
Her Author Page on the Deadly Reads Website

Lisa was kind enough to do an interview with Clay from my latest release, Hellfire's Judgment on her blog, Lisa's Place . Drop by and meet him, and while you're there support her blog by following it. Thanks.

I want to thank all of you for dropping by, and I hope you have a blessed day.

2 comments: